Art Business and Career Advancement for the Artist
The Art DEADLINES List A list of various competitions, commissions, and cattle-calls around the world: for visual artists, film-makers, performers, and writers. Not complete by any means, but sometimes you see things here you don't see anywhere else.
- studioNOTES: support for artists/ideas and information Based in Benicia, California this publication has some useful articles on art/career issues. Some of their best advice has now been collected into a book- the "StudioNOTES Treasury of Information and Ideas for Artists", with sections on alternatives to galleries, pricing issues, relating to galleries, computer use, etc. Highly Recommended!
- Nolo Home Page Nolo Press has a self-help philosophy about the law and legal issues. They sell a range of material useful for artists, including sample contracts, and information on intellectual property issues.
SCORE Retired executives volunteer to counsel small businesses (including art-related ones) for free- many local chapters.
Americans for the Arts An organization for arts research and advocacy, with a search engine and a catalog of helpful publications.
Copyright Myths FAQ: 10 big myths about copyright explained A succinct clarification of some of copyright's puzzling aspects, and links to more copyright information.
Welcome to GeoCities Home Page Here's the largest purveyor of free home pages on the net. What have you got to lose?
Welcome to GunkWeb The Gunk foundation funds quirky art projects that are socially relevant in some way, and that engage people who would never walk into a gallery.
Selling Your Art Online by Chris Maher An excellent page with some very useful ideas for those of us trying to make a go of it on the net. Don't be fooled by the compactness of the presentation- there's a lot here, including some extremely useful links.
The Dactyl Foundation Sponsors of an art essay contest and artist exhibitions in their New York headquarters.
ArtSupport Although this page refers specifically to establishing oneself as a photographer, many of its sections, such as "How to Find Exhibition Spaces" or "Potential Exhibition Locations" are equally applicable to other sorts of artists.
The Art Connection
A London-based site with facilities for looking up UK art, artists, and galleries, including new "affordable art" fairs.
- WorkingArtist - The Artist's Business Software Tool. A piece of software that's supposed to keep track of all your art- sounds good, but I haven't tried it.
Institute of Art and Law : art law links Various places around the world which revolve around the intersection of these two somewhat contradictory disciplines.
ScamBusters If sombody's ripped you off, these might be the people to notify.
- Welcome to the Foundation Center - Your gateway to philanthropy on the World Wide Web
- Homestead - Free Web Sites And they even seem to offer some help in setting them up!
- Broad Foundation - General Information One of the rare foundations that still uses its money to collect and loan out contemporary art
- Welcome to The Corporation of Yaddo Who knows, it might be time for your residency...
Public Art: Call for Visual Artists - Hillsborough Co. FL This seems to be an exceptionally supportive place for public art
FindLaw Do legal research online.
LII: Law about...Copyright Where to find out everything you always wanted to know about protecting your art, short of hiring a lawyer
Meditations on carving for a living From Bill Judt, who does just that
Patent Avoidance A contrarian view on patent protection
SF bay area Artist live-work space, etc Artist's Resource, which has more than just ads for workspace
Association of Lifecasters International An organization for those of us fascinated with the artistic use of parts molded from nature.
Return to UNITED ARTWORKS Art Resources Page
Return to UNITED ARTWORKS